ACL Community: Choosing a Monitor, For Dummies. - ACL Community

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Choosing a Monitor, For Dummies. Need help picking a monitor? Look here.

#81 User is offline   BrainSeeker 2.0 

• Trollident res
  • Group: VoD Subscribers
  • YouTube

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:32 PM

View PostDirectXpert, on 21 December 2010 - 08:23 PM, said:

You're saying HDMI has noticeably more response time? You crazy? At all ACL events the monitors use HDMI with no visible delay at all.

On my TV HDMI greatly reduces response time. Its a 42 inch plasma though :)
Posted Image

#82 User is offline   Tunney 

• Group: Members
  • Facebook YouTube

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:40 PM

View PostDark, on 21 December 2010 - 08:21 PM, said:

omgizzle:

Posted Image

My xbox came with one of these, check if you have one.

You're doing a horrible job at proving me wrong Dark. That cable only has inputs for sound. He might like that if he's using headphones :huh: That wasn't his question though.

View PostDirectXpert, on 21 December 2010 - 08:23 PM, said:

You're saying HDMI has noticeably more response time? You crazy? At all ACL events the monitors use HDMI with no visible delay at all.

I've played Halo 3 on 2 different moniters with HDMI and I notice delay. That's compared to my moniter with VGA. Benq E220HD or something - the mainstage ones.

#83 User is offline   Dark 

• Twitter Facebook

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:48 PM

View PostTunney, on 21 December 2010 - 08:40 PM, said:

You're doing a horrible job at proving me wrong Dark. That cable only has inputs for sound. He might like that if he's using headphones :huh: That wasn't his question though.

It's on the other side of the cable dipstick.

I've played Halo 3 on 2 different moniters with HDMI and I notice delay. That's compared to my moniter with VGA. Benq E220HD or something - the mainstage ones.

HDMI has less lag than VGA and better picture quality, that's why Vanz uses HDMI on the mainstage.

HDMI has a much greater bandwidth and can transmit higher resolutions.

#84 User is offline   Ash 

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:51 AM

just a nooby question what monitor is better like spec wise
LCD or LED?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#85 User is offline   iiFlippyy 

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:15 PM

LED is better, but costs more.

GT: Jordi AUS LOL Summoner: Jordi

#86 User is offline   Ash 

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:28 PM

whats the difference?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#87 User is offline   Macca 

• Twitter Facebook

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:44 AM

i have a Samsum BX2250 Monitor 22.5" 2ms lag with my own speakers but i use my astros anyways great LED monitor
Posted Image

#88 User is offline   SLY JD 

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:46 PM

Looking at getting another monitor.
Currently own a vx2260wm, but one just isn't enough!

Tossing up between BenQ E2220HD or G2420HD.
Question to those who own: When multiple inputs are running, can you switch between them by pressing a 'channel select' button? (like the vx2260wm)

#89 User is offline   PARK3R 

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:02 PM

View PostSLY JD, on 17 February 2011 - 12:46 PM, said:

Looking at getting another monitor.
Currently own a vx2260wm, but one just isn't enough!

Tossing up between BenQ E2220HD or G2420HD.
Question to those who own: When multiple inputs are running, can you switch between them by pressing a 'channel select' button? (like the vx2260wm)

I have 2 of the benqs, you can deity between hdmi, dvi and VGA by pressing 1 button.
I am a massive f*****

#90 User is offline   SLY JD 

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:29 PM

View PostPARK3RIN0, on 17 February 2011 - 01:02 PM, said:

I have 2 of the benqs, you can deity between hdmi, dvi and VGA by pressing 1 button.

Thanks man. Time to order...

#91 User is offline   Shifty 

• Twitter

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:10 PM

Gonna buy a LED now after Melbourne, thanks for this thread helped heaps :)

#92 User is offline   Shifty 

• Twitter

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:18 PM

Can someone recommend me a LED monitor thats like height adjustable or a low height, my desk is high enough so I don't want to have to look up at the ceiling to play if you get what I mean.

http://www.centrecom...oducts_id=45595
Maybe this but it looks pretty high and doesn't say anything about being height adjustable.

#93 User is offline   Loki 

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:23 PM

My Samsung BX2450 is about 430mm high, including that sexy silver stand. 2ms response time, too. Stand not height adjustable, though it allows monitor to be swung a little, so that the viewing surface may be angled either down or up.

Height of my desk is 720mm, which puts my monitor at a very comfortable viewing height for me. How high exactly is your desk?
Posted Image

#94 User is offline   Macca 

• Twitter Facebook

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:33 PM

i have a BX2250 21.5" 2ms Lag works excellent for gaming and PC/Laptop Needs not one issue yet :D
Posted Image

#95 User is offline   Loki 

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:45 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot the way Samsung's monitor naming conventions worked and so couldn't find any 22 inch 2450s... lol.

Uh, my little brain fart aside, the BX2250 would, as Macca said, be just as good as the BX2450. In your situation should be better, actually. Height would be less of an issue, and the smaller screen size would help you see everything that's going on more easily.

I chose a 24 inch monitor only because I use mine for a lot of DVD watching, aside from gaming. If you're going solely for gaming I'd say the BX2250 would be a better choice, especially for what you want, Shifty.
Posted Image

#96 User is offline   Shifty 

• Twitter

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:54 PM

Thanks Loki the BX2250 looks perfect.

#97 User is offline   Brake 

• Twitter

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:47 AM

BenQ have one of the best now, it costs a bunch though. Great for Counter Strike.

BenQ XL2410T 23.6 Inch

$489 :o

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=16166

But is LED, 2ms, 10 million:1 contrast and a 120hz refresh rate!

Not sure how long they have had it, but I don't think it's too long.
Posted Image

#98 User is offline   Loki 

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:09 PM

Why Dynamic Contrast Ratio is one of the poorer indicators of monitor/television/projector quality.

Most important part:

Conclusion: Numbers are there to impress and help the marketing people sell the product. But quoted peak contrast ratings do not really give you any information on the video projector or display device ability to render images with lifelike gray scales and colors. Rather, the only information that contrast ratio can deliver is how much brighter the 'whites' can be than the 'blacks'!

My BX2450 had a 5 000 000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio quoted when I bought it. Still probably the one thing I cared least about, though.

Stand on the BenQ is definitely superior to that on the Samsung. Samsung is less power-hungry, though, with 27w power consumption normally, under 0.3 w standby. BX2450 is also LED Back Lit, as opposed to Edge Lit like the XL2410T, which is another mark in its favour. The dudes on the Whirlpool forums seem to think the BenQ's is fairly average. Far as I know, the Samsung is a high quality entry level type monitor, and a good deal cheaper than that BenQ. What bonuses you do get, like the 120hz refresh rate, are immediately cancelled out by that massive price.

Could just be that I'm suspicious of a new " world's best gaming monitor" that's got a stupidly biased review coming largely from someone who is actually sponsored by BenQ.

BenQ was having a prototype tested in Australia by Team Immunity, a pro gaming team that BenQ partly sponsors

How exactly does BenQ 'partly' sponsor them, anyway? Surely that's a necessary admission of the financial aid Immunity receives from BenQ, which the actual APC reviewer immediately attempts to downplay using an adverb, of all things. I just don't get it: you can't party sponsor someone the same way you can partly buy them a car or a cheeseburger.
Posted Image

#99 User is offline   Brake 

• Twitter

Posted 19 February 2011 - 03:32 PM

Dude I dunno lol, I was just posting what I found...thought it would be good to share.

I'm aware contrast ratio is a very poor indicator of the monitor.

You say the 120hz is cancelled by the price, well cool...sweet maybe it is. If you do have that money to spend you will have a monitor with a great refresh rate. End of story.

Again, I just thought it was good to share it, personally I wouldn't pay that much...but there might be some people that want to.
Posted Image

#100 User is offline   Loki 

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:34 PM

The Dynamic Contrast Ratio bit wasn't aimed at you. Just, anybody who might see a ratio of 10 000 000:1 and think that's a good indicator of monitor quality, because it's really not.

I didn't say you were wrong for posting about that BenQ monitor. Just offering my own opinion, which is that the monitor is too expensive for what it does, and that the APC review of it is really kinda iffy. No part of my response was aimed at you, specifically.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users